Thursday, April 10, 2008

HELLO DONKEY...YOU ARE ONE OF MY FAVOURITE ANIMALS.

I took a road trip into the country today & caught up with some of my donkey pals Ferdinand & Theodora at Lavandula Lavender Farm (http://www.lavandula.com.au/). Which made me think, I don't really know much about donkeys, but I sure do love them & their dopey eyes, their velvety soft hair & funny long ears. So thanks to elevenses llamas & donkey farmers website (http://www.elevensesllamas.com) for these top 5 tips about my favourite asses.

1. Donkey… refers to the same animal as ass and burro. A male donkey is a jack, a female is a jennet or jenny. Cross-breeding between a male donkey and a female horse gives you a mule; between a male horse and a female donkey yields a hinny.

2. Donkeys have an average life expectancy of 40-50 years. As a result they tend to mature slowly. No training involving carrying any weight should be done before the age of three years. Females are generally not bred until three years of age.

3. Donkeys bray (or hee-haw). Some are better (and louder) at it than others.

4. Miniature donkeys have the cross on their backs. Other donkeys may have it too, but all miniatures do

5. If you get on the donkeys level, he will generally put his chin on your shoulder. This is a donkey hug. Enthusiastic huggers can knock you over.




Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger editor said...

I am pleased to be informed of all the donkey facts I did not once know... I come away from your blog significantly more educated than prior!

And the lavender farm looks like a treat!

Much love

x

Friday, April 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home